Friday, May 18, 2012

Our House at the end of our Street (Finale)

After months of cleaning, packing and prep, Settlement Day was finally upon us (Settlement Day, like D-Day, is being written in caps due to the monumentality of occasion in my head). We arrived at the empty house only to find that our names had been removed from the mailbox by the mailman. "Indignant" is an understatement, but then it dawned on me. "Let it go. Relinquish the reins. Cede. Surrender and yield" (battle terminology courtesy of the above-mentioned D-Day analogy).

So hard.

I had a tome planned for the final posting on this particular house... but it became so maudlin, sentimental, I thought I would spare you. However, I do feel like I have lost a limb.

It has been said that...

You never really leave a place or person you love, part of them you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind.








5 comments:

  1. OK so the tears have started... You will ALWAYS have a piece of my heart!! All of you! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you hear the floor boards moan as you walked over them for the last time? Rather than aged wood it was the house mourning its own loss. LOVE!!!xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am verklempt. But as my friends are leaving SA, you're arriving to take their place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You saved that house from ruin, it will always remember you. xxx

    ReplyDelete